Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Stress and Finding Serenity

Alas, faithful reader, it is days like these that can at times make writing a challenge. Stress, in any magnitude and of any variety can lead to a lack of concentration and ultimately, writer’s block. Now I won’t go into any details about what is causing the stress that I am currently experiencing, but it is a set of circumstances that are beyond my control. I’m sure that most of you have experienced stress of some sort during your life. It can be crippling to the mind.

When stress is caused as the result of your own actions, it is easy to deal with. Deal with the actions, deal with the stress. When stress is due to circumstances beyond your control, however, it is a little more difficult to manage. About all you can do really is do the best that you can. You can practice stress-relieving techniques — if you are spiritual, you can pray or meditate; find a quiet place, perhaps a park, and get away from everything for a brief time for reflection; use writing as a vent for your frustrations and emotions; talk to someone about your stress to see if they have any ideas on how to deal with it or if nothing else, simply listen to you; don’t worry about it and realize that since it is because of circumstances beyond your control, there really isn’t anything you can do about it anyway, even if you wanted to.

There is a prayer that I have always loved. If you aren’t a religious or spiritual person, it can still be relevant. It is called “The Serenity Prayer”. If you are dealing with any stress or difficulties in life, I would encourage you to read this (or pray it) and take comfort. Things will get better, faithful reader. It just takes time.

The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
Keep your chin up. I will try to do the same.

Cheers!
~ Peter West

No comments:

Post a Comment