Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Reasons Why I Write

I have been thinking a great deal lately about why I write. A very small percentage of writers write enough books and make enough to be able to make a living at it, so it isn’t for the money. Although I care about people reading my work, I honestly don’t desire to be famous. Sometimes I use writing to vent emotions that cannot be released any other way, but that also is not the primary reason why I write. Surely it is just as entertaining to me to write as it is to read my books, but it isn’t the entertainment factor that causes me to yearn to write either.

I think I write because it nourishes the soul. It affords me self-reflection and exploration of thoughts, feelings, and emotions. At times it is like being able to have a conversation with myself without anyone thinking I am crazy. I have said many times that “writing is the one thing that when I’m doing it, I don’t feel like I should be doing something else”. That is definitely true. Writing gives me purpose and it gives me hope. In my works, I create the environment and characters and I determine every action, reaction, and outcome. While I often cannot control what happens in the real world, I have total control over every aspect in my writing. I guess that reinforces my desire for order, logic, and reason. It is nice to be able to bring order to chaos, light to darkness, and for good to triumph over evil.

To me, writing is as crucial and vital as the air I breathe, the food I eat, and the roof over my head. I guess the bottom line is that I don’t write for a living, I write to live.

Cheers!
~ Peter West

No comments:

Post a Comment