Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Living in the Age of Me

The pace of life seems to have increased exponentially from the time I was a child. As a society, we have become a very impatient culture. It is most evident when driving — watching car after car do anything to get in front of just one more car, like a few seconds is going to make that much of a difference. I never have been able to figure out why people can’t just wait their turn like everyone else. At the stores these days, the majority of people are just downright apathetic and rude. While the items I purchase are being checked out, I have seen so many customers just stand at the end of the belt with their arms crossed and an angry glare on their face. Some even tap their foot impatiently. I just don’t get it. I don’t remember it being so bad when I was younger. People would actually strike up a conversation and talk to each other in the store while waiting in line. The world was a happier place then. People would also gladly allow you to merge onto the highway or would wave you on at an intersection. Not anymore. We are living in the age of me. Few people truly care about anyone else but themselves and it is a sad testament. Though I long for yesteryear and hope things will change back to the way they were, I am not holding out much hope. Our society is too far gone down the path of immorality, ignorance and hate.

Cheers!
~ Peter West

No comments:

Post a Comment